In the European Union airline passenger rights are regulated by the Regulation (EC) 261/2004 of the European Parliament and of the Council. This Regulation requires airlines to pay compensation to passengers whose flights are delayed or cancelled or passengers who are denied boarding.
Airline passengers who fall within the purview of the Regulation are entitled to compensation of up to EUR 600 if their flight is delayed for more than 3 hours. The amount of compensation depends on the distance of your flight. Whether you are eligible for compensation and in what amount depends on many factors. This website provides answers to all your questions. If you still have any doubts, please use the Delayfix form to check whether you are entitled to compensation for your flight.
Regulation (EC) 261/2004 sets out the rules of paying compensation and airline passenger rights and it applies to:
- Passengers who depart from airports in Member States and Switzerland,
- Passengers who depart from a third-country airport and arrive at an airport in a Member State on flights operated by air carriers from those countries (and from Switzerland),
- Passenger rights apply to each scheduled, charter and low-cost flight.
You are not entitled to compensation for flight delay or cancellation if:
- The delay or cancellation was caused by extraordinary circumstances which are beyond control, e.g. political instability, severe weather conditions that make flying impossible, bird strike, security risk, unanticipated failures that could compromise safety.
- You were notified about cancellation of your flight at least 14 days before departure.
- You were notified about cancellation of your flight 7-14 days before departure, offered a replacement flight less than 2 hours before departure and arrived at your destination up to 4 hours later than your booked flight.
- You were notified about cancellation of your flight less than 7 days before departure, offered a replacement flight less than 1 hour before departure and arrived at your destination up to 2 hours later than your booked flight.